commons-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <Adrian.Sut...@Ephox.com>
Subject RE: [jelly] unsatisfied dependencies in jelly demos
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:38:53 GMT
>I expected that would be the answer, but I have to do it for jdbc, jms and
>xsdlib. I don't know what xsdlib is, and if I can't find it, jelly just
won't
>work for me.

Sadly I can't help much here.

> Also, I will only be guessing as to what jelly expects to find
>in my repository.

I may be completely off-base here, but I don't believe it's really jelly
that's looking for the jars as such, but actually maven looking for the jars
to satisfy jelly's dependencies.  The distinction probably seems irrelevant
to you since you just want to use jelly, but it actually makes a big
difference to how to solve the problem.  I apologise if you already know all
this but let me go over the process in a little detail to see if it helps
you.  Please note that I'm neither a jelly developer or a user and I'm only
a maven user, so there are definitely better people to give help and I'm
sure they'll chime in.

So, we want to use jelly and we're starting off with working through the
jelly tutorial.  That tutorial actually involves two things:

1. The use of jelly (what we really want)
2. The use of maven to build our jelly project (something the tutorial
writer chose to add in because it generally makes things easier).

We're hitting a problem with maven and as such can't get to use jelly at
all.

Now, the maven problem is just that we need to find a few jars and put them
in the right place for maven.  There's some documentation about this on
http://maven.apache.org which may be of use.  Essentially though we have to
find the jars (2 are definitely from Sun and I would suspect xsdlib is too),
then put them at:

{maven install location}/repository/{dependency name}/jars/{dependency
name}-{version}.jar

Where:
{maven install location} = where you installed maven to.  It will have
directories like repository, plugins, bin and probably a few others.  Quite
often this is C:\maven, C:\Program Files\maven or /usr/local/maven but is
allowed to be anywhere (hopefully you remember where you installed it).

{dependency name} = the name of the dependency as specified in the
project.xml file in the directory you're running maven from.  Most likely
jdbc, jms and xsdlib.

{version} = the version of the dependency from teh project.xml file in the
directory you're running maven from.

>The Jelly tutorial page says "and hopefully make your first
>experience with Jelly enjoyable and fun". Well, so far it is failing. So
far
>it is frustrating the heck out of me. Neither the tutorial page nor the
>Getting Started page tell me that I actually have to hunt down 3 jars that
>may or may not be familiar with, and stick them in some place which is
>undocumented before any of the tutorials will work. In fact the Getting
>Started page says "This should download all the required jars required to
>build and run all the example Jelly scripts, compile all the code and build

>and run all the unit test cases", although the developers are well aware
that
>that is NOT the case.

To be fair, maven used to be able to automatically download all these files
for you but the licensing restrictions crept in later.  When the getting
started guide was written it was probably accurate, but it sounds like it
needs updating now.  You probably won't like this suggestion now but once
you sort out how to make it work, how about fixing the getting started guide
and submitting a patch?  At the least I'd recommend logging a bug with the
jelly team about it (they've moved over to JIRA for bug tracking so I can't
tell you how to go about that, you may need to settle for pointing it out
here and possibly on the dev list as well.  Just make sure you include
[jelly] at the start of the subject line so people notice it.

Phew, that was wordy, I hope you can work out what I mean. :)

Regards,

Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
Ephox Corporation
www.ephox.com