commons-user mailing list archives

From Larry Young <lyo...@dalmatian.com>
Subject Re: fmt:formatNumber to format currency does not display negative amounts
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:59:50 GMT
Radhika,

         Sorry, I don't have direct experience with JSTL, so I can only
give you suggestions where to look.

         The number (100) is an accounting equivalent for -100, both
specify a negative value.  The one you get is generally dependent on your
locale.  Based on the JSTL docs, and assuming that JSTL is simply utilizing
the Java DecimalFormat class, it would look like you need to specify the
"patttern" attribute for the "formatNumber" tag.  I'm not positive that it
takes the same value as the Java class "applyPattern" method does, but if
so, then you need to supply it with both a positive and negative pattern if
you want to enforce the minus sign on negative values.

         I made my assumptions by looking at the JDK1.4 javadocs and also
the JSTL docs.  Good luck.

--- regards ---
Larry