commons-user mailing list archives

From "YAWN,MIKE (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)" <mike.y...@hp.com>
Subject HttpClient recoverable exceptions with HTTPS
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:00:46 GMT
(I suspect this might be answered in archives, but they appear to be
offline)

I seem to get extremely high numbers of HttpRecoverableExceptions when
accessing a web site via HTTPS.  No such problem is seen with HTTP.
Generally, by bumping up the number of repeated attempts (from 3 to 25) it
will almost always succeed eventually, but this seems like a real kludge and
I'd like to understand and resolve the root cause.

I see slightly different stack traces depending on whether the client is
executing on a Windows or a UNIX (HP-UX) box:

UNIX exception:
2003-08-14 10:01:14,814 WARN  HttpConnection - HttpConnection: Socket
exception while writing data
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:124)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.writeLine(HttpConnection.java:6
95)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequest(HttpMethodBase.jav
a:1980)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRequest(HttpMethodBase.j
ava:2305)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:922
)
        at com.hp.wfm.spot.HttpTest.executeMethod(HttpTest.java:165)
        at com.hp.wfm.spot.HttpTest.run(HttpTest.java:81)
        at com.hp.wfm.spot.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:165)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
2003-08-14 10:01:14,818 INFO  HttpMethod - Recoverable exception caught when
writing request

On Windows 2000, the SocketException is 'recv failed', rather than 'broken
pipe' when trying to read back the response.

I can find several references to these errors on the Java Forums at Sun, and
they do seem to be associated to the use of SSL - but there is no solution
posted that I could find, and most of the attempted workarounds use the
standard Sun classes (URLConnection).  Has anyone run into this using
HttpClient, and is there a workaround or solution (other than
retry-until-success?)

Thanks,
Mike