commons-user mailing list archives

From "Dmitri Plotnikov" <dmi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JXPATH] Possible Sychronization Problem
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:33:23 GMT
Unfortunately, I don't have a way to easily reproduce this.  Is there  way
to pinpoint the location of the deadlock more precisely?

I've been reading the code and I don't see any synchronization that could
lead to a deadlock.  The only synchronized piece is where JXPathContext gets
nodeFactories to protect against using the factories while they are also
being registered. See if you explicitly register any node factories in your
code - this might lead us to the cause of the problem.

Thanks,

- Dmitri

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam J Chesney" <adam@multicom.co.uk>
To: "Jakarta Commons Users" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: "Adam J Chesney" <adam@multicom.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 8:40 AM
Subject: [JXPATH] Possible Sychronization Problem

Hi,

JXPath 1.1 running on Suse Linux 8.2, Sun JRE 1.4.2

We are using JXPath (which we think is great btw) in a highly multi-threaded
environment where we are creating lots of contexts and we seem to be
encountering an intermittent issue where a number of calls to

jxp_context = JXPathContext.newContext(context);

in different threads at similar times are blocking indefinitely (or at least
> 60 secs).

Other threads are also accessing there own JXPath contexts (which were
successfully created earlier) at the same time.

I have at a quick look into the JXPathContext source and it does seem that
there is a bunch of synchronization of shared resources.

Has anyone noticed any similar deadlock problems before.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Adam Chesney

Tel:   (+44) 117 908 1254 (Direct)
Mobile (+44) 7780 962 961
email: adam@multicom.co.uk

This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is confidential.
and may be unlawful.

Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any
virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into
which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is
accepted by Multicom Products Limited for any loss or damage arising in any
way from receipt or use thereof.