commons-user mailing list archives

From "Harshad Oak" <harshad...@hotpop.com>
Subject fileupload name issue
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:03:26 GMT
Hello,

I am trying to use the FileUpload 1.0 component to upload three files from an HTML page. I
am submitting an HTML form to a JSP page.

The HTML is as follows:
    <FORM name="filesForm" action="ProcessFileUpload.jsp"
    method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
        File 1:<input type="file" name="file1"/><br/>
        File 2:<input type="file" name="file2"/><br/>
        File 3:<input type="file" name="file3"/><br/>
        <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Upload Files"/>
    </FORM>

In the JSP I have a statement (fi is a reference to org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileItem):

    System.out.println("NAME: "+fi.getName());

Strangely enough, if I submit the form using Opera browser version 7.11, the output of the
System.out in the JSP is just the <fileName>. However on trying to submit it using Internet
Explorer 5.5, the output is the entire path eg: D:/<directoryname>/<filename>

Is this a known issue and what is the solution for it? I just need the name and not the entire
path to the file. I found a possible workaround in an onjava.com article. However if this
bug has been fixed in the latest CVS copy, I could pick that up.

thanks,
harshad