commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daryl Stultz" <da...@6degrees.com>
Subject FileUpload - read timed out / stream ended unexpectedly
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:49:13 GMT
Hi folks, I'm getting the following errors using the final release of
commons upload:

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of
multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
	at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:429)

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of
multipart/form-data request failed. Read timed out
	at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:429)

I'm using Tomcat 4.1.24 with an SSL connection. The problem occurs in both
Netscape 4.7 and IE 6.0. The client machine exhibiting the problem is an
old Windows 9x machine (P2 400, I think). The network is a DSL with a
proxy server in the middle. The page with the problem has a lot of form
fields on it (500) including 3 upload fields. The errors do not coincide
with an actual upload. The upload fields aren't used too much.

The page works fine with a faster machine and a good network connection.

This particular page (on this client) worked fine before adding the upload
controls (and switching the form encoding type to multi-part).

Can you give me some clue as to why this is happening? Is the client
machine too slow? The network too slow? Is SSL messing it up? Is there
some problem with so many form fields on a multi-part form? Is there some
way to configure FileUpload to wait longer (longer timeout)?

Thanks for the help.

Daryl Stultz
6 Degrees Software and Consulting, Inc.
http://www.6degrees.com