commons-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Holly" <mho...@talisentech.com>
Subject RE: [DBCP] How to kill connection pool when app is reloaded.
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:15:30 GMT
I found my error.  I was setting ds1 twice in the context and not setting
ds2 at all.

Thanks for the help

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Holly [mailto:mholly@talisentech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 3:00 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: RE: [DBCP] How to kill connection pool when app is reloaded.

Thanks to Tony for the help.  I created a ContextListener and this works...
partially.

In my application I actually have to access two datasources.  In my
development env
both data sources reside on the same DB but access different schemas via
different
userids.  In my production the data sources are seperate oracle instances.

In the ContextIntialized method the two datasources seem to register just
fine.

but

When the ContextListener destroys I am going through and trying to remove
the pool
for both datasources.  Am I correct in believing that since it looks like I
configure two different pools as jndi resources in the context.xml that I
have two different pools?  Or do I have one pool that stores all the
different connections?

I find that if I execute the code to remove the second data source

         if (ds2 instanceof org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource) {
            log.info("Found oracle_talisen connection pool " +
ds2.toString() );
            ((org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource) ds2).close();
            ds2 = null;
         }

I get a null pointer exception.  This I can understand if connections are
stored in one pool.  To confirm this I added the ds2.toString() in the log.
This confirmed that the objects that ds1 and ds2 are located in the same
place in memory.

However, the head scratcher here is that the connections for the second
datasource do not go away even though it appears that I have killed the
pool.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael