commons-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <Adrian.Sut...@Ephox.com>
Subject RE: [httpclient] Can't get BasicAuthenticationExample working
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:16:12 GMT
Hi Steve,
It looks like you're trying to connect to a HTTPS server without JSSE
installed.  Take a look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html for details on
getting SSL connections to work.  Definitely pay attention to the limitation
with SSL connections and authentication that's noted there (ie: it don't
work atm - we'll be fixing that in CVS shortly I imagine).  I would also
*very* *very* strongly recommend you go through the tutorial
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/tutorial.html) before trying
to use HttpClient.  The tutorial will set you up with the right usage
pattern that will pretty much guarantee that you avoid all the most common
pitfalls.

The other standard links are:

* Trouble shooting guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/troubleshooting.html
* Logging guide: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html

We've worked really hard on the documentation for HttpClient
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient) so hopefully anything you
need should be there.  If not, the best place to ask is generally the
httpclient-dev list which despite the name is used for everything HttpClient
related.  I believe I'm the only HttpClient developer who really pays
attention to this list.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
Ephox Corporation