commons-user mailing list archives

From Chad La Joie <claj...@vt.edu>
Subject Re: Pool project still active
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:07:07 GMT
You're probably see the result of this bug.  If you set the pool to a -1
that does not mean no connection limits (as the Javadocs say).  It seems
to interrupt that as meaning max allowable connections of -1.  So if you
don't have your pool exhausted behavior set to make the pool grow when
it's out of connection the pool will always fail to get a connection
(since it has -1 of them available).

Even if you do set the pool to grow when exhausted, which does get
around the -1 problem, if you set your idle connection reclamation
settings low you'll still basically be without a pool as the pool will
likely always be creating new connections when you request one.

So my suggestion, if you want an unlimited number of connections is to
set the max allowable connections to Integer.MAX_VALUE, which is really
the max possible connections you can have open anyways.