commons-user mailing list archives

From Brian Cook <bc...@printtime.com>
Subject Re: fileUpload NullPointerException
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:34:20 GMT
Daryl,

I am guessing the instance you described with three file upload fields
falls into one of the following

	o All three file input fields have the same name. Which would return
only one file name.

	o There is some scripting on the client side to account for it.

	o You have a test at some point in your code to skip the file upload if
the form does not return a file name to the servlet.

	o The servlet does not actually write the file to disk so the
fileItem.write(fileName) method is not actually called.

Other possibilities include that I may just be completely wrong in my
understanding of the conditions that throw exceptions.  And or that I am
implementing  Jakarta.Commons.FileUpload incorrectly.  It has been a
while since I have stumbled thought the API docs for it.  If I get a
change I will go over them again to day.

Has far as I know .parseRequest() will throw, or cause the following
exceptions

	o NullPointerException - For me this usually means I failed to set the
input type to "multipart/form-data"
	o FileUploadException - The data is not in a form that FileItem can
parse, and or it is unable to write to disk.

Again these are assumptions I am making based on observations made by
myself and some others.  I would be very interested in hearing differing
ideas or thoughts any one may have.