commons-user mailing list archives

From Brian Cook <bc...@printtime.com>
Subject Re: fileUpload NullPointerException
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:49:15 GMT
Kristine,

A null pointer exception on the upload.parseRequest method, which is
usually the first time that Jakarata.Commons.FileUpload is instantiated,
typically indicates that the file input form in the HTML is returning a
blank or a Null value to your servlet.

You can test this by setting up and inputStream to write to a file, or
System.out.println() to see what in the HTTP header is being returned to
the servlet

In my extremely limited experience I have found that this is usually
caused by one of the following:

	o The input form method not being set to POST

	o The input form not being set to "multipart/form-data"

	Example: <form action="yourServletName" method="post" name="step"
enctype="multipart/form-data">

	You can add something like this to check:

	boolean isMultipart = FileUpload.isMultipartContent(req);
         if(isMultipart.equals("false"))
         {System.out.println("Return triggered in readInComingData");
             return;}

	o There is a file upload field that the user is not selecting, and as
such it is returning a blank or null value to FileUpload.  This would
usually throw a FileUpload Exception instead though. So I would focus on
the first two.