commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: commons/net whois fails with whois.opensrs.net
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:07:04 GMT

In message <40299843.1059505448@[192.168.0.40]>, Mark Himsley writes:
>> output = new DataOutputStream(new BufferedOutputStream(_output_,
>> someSize));
>
>I've implemented this with someSize=1024 (just a random number) in my
>sandbox of CVS jakarta-commons/net tag NET_1_0_0 and it cured my problem
>talking to the whois server at whois.opensrs.net.

Excellent!  I committed the change to CVS.  I made a note in the commit
message that maybe we should make the buffer size configurable.  However,
I would expect whois and finger queries to always be smaller than 1024
bytes.  Technically, DataOutputStream may not be the right thing to use
because it strips the high 8 bits, but a user can always encode the query
to US-ASCII the query before calling a Finger/WhoisClient method, so I
think we can stick with it for now.

Thanks a lot for reporting the problem and going to the effort of figuring
out what would work instead of just giving up on the code.

daniel