commons-user mailing list archives

From Wesley Wannemacher <w...@aol.net>
Subject Re: [Net] Support for SSH1/2 ?
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:00:22 GMT
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:21:07AM +0200, Bingel, Michael wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have seen the Telnet functionality in the 'commons net'
> package, is there support planned for (Open-)SSH1/2 ?
>
> I need to execute some commands (e.g. 'df -h') on a server,
> but only SSH encrypted communication is allowed, no simple
> telnet session.

A po' man's solution would utilize forwarding. It would add a layer of
complexity (keeping the tunnel up between the machines), but may solve
your problem rather simply until SSH support is added.

ssh -L 6666:remote.machine.com:23 -l username remote.machine.com

would open the SSH session that will forward the traffic.

telnet 127.0.0.1 6666

Will connect to the remote machine.

Be warned however, this may not solve your problem, if there isn't a
telnet daemon at all... but most sysadmins would be willing to work with
you in this matter. It would still meet most security requirements if
telnet is only listening on the loopback interface.

/W

--
/*
 * Wesley Wannemacher

Life is divided into the horrible and the miserable.
		-- Woody Allen, "Annie Hall"