commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [beanutils] not finding the setter
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:14:03 GMT

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Kenneth Stout wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:30:41 -0700
> From: Kenneth Stout <kenneth.stout@comcast.net>
> To: Jakarta Commons Users List <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [beanutils] not finding the setter
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> Glad you shared your opinion. I would tend to agree (even though I was
> inadvertently breaking the rules). I also believe that BeanUtils makes an
> assumption as to what is being returned from java.beans.Introspector and as
> a result it is unable to find the set<PropertyName> descriptor. It then goes
> so far as to generate a debug message that is misleading.
>
> Would you agree that BeanUtils should find the set<PropertyName>, if it
> exists, regardless of its position within the descriptors returned by
> java.beans.Introspector?

No, I do not.

Every tool in the world that knows how to manipulate JavaBeans (and that
includes everyone's favorite GUIs that construct a property sheet for you
to fill out, as well as things like JSP pages) base their decisions on the
output of the introspector.

Fixing a misleading error message is good.  Being gratuitously
incompatible with the rest of the world is bad.

> Kenneth.

Craig