commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject [FileUpload] File Separator question
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:35:34 GMT
I need some help to get my FileUpload servlet to work "cross-platform".

It works okay when uploading a file from a Windows machine to a Windows server but it misbehaves
when I try to upload a file from a Windows machine to a Linux server; it isn't setting the
file name properly.

In a Windows->Windows scenario, the file I am uploading is something like C:\original-dir\original-subdir\my.file.
My servlet uses lastIndexOf(File.separator) to find the file name proper, e.g. my.file, and
then concatenates it to the end of the path where I want the file stored in the server, e.g.
C:\stored-dir\stored-subdir\my.file. The servlet saves the file successfully and when I look
at the C:\stored-dir\stored-subdir directory in my file system, the file name is my.file,
exactly as I want.

In a Windows->Linux scenario (i.e. uploading a Windows file to a Linux server), the servlet
stores the file in the desired directory but it has its full original name, e.g. C:\original-dir\original-subdir\my.file,
not just my.file. That means that the full file name of the uploaded file is something along
the lines of /home/rhino/tomcat4/webapps/FileUploadServlet/SDAC-upload/C:\\original-dir\\original-subdir\\my.file.
Clearly, that is not desireable; I want the uploaded file name to be /home/rhino/tomcat4/webapps/FileUploadServlet/SDAC-upload/my.file.

It seems clear to me that the file separator is the problem here. When the servlet is running
in Linux, it determines the value of file.separator to be '/' while the file being uploaded
is in Windows which has a file.separator of '\'. The lastIndexOf(File.separator) therefore
never finds the file name proper and saves the entire path in the name, not just the last
bit.

I'm not so sure what to do about it. Do I need to have my code determine the OS from which
it is getting the file which is being uploaded or is there some other technique I need to
use? How would I determine the OS from which I'm uploading? I know that I can get the OS of
the server from the Java system property "os.name" but how do I get the OS which is the source
of the file upload?

I am running Tomcat 4.1.24 on both the Windows XP and Linux boxes. The Linux box is running
Mandrake 9.1.

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"If you want the best seat in the house, you'll have to move the cat."