commons-user mailing list archives

From "Robert McIntosh" <REMCINT...@kcc.usda.gov>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Modularization: To Return A Non XMLOutput/String Object
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:41:32 GMT
I personally don't remember a thread about have return values for tags,
but most tags do put things into the JellyContext with their 'var'
attribute and there is also the j:set tag for setting a variable which
we use as a 'return type'.

Even with that however, we use Jelly as an all purpose scripting
language without the XMLOutput. In most cases we even modularize it and
use the import tag to having one script invoke another script. We then
use the JellyContext to get out all of the values that we are looking
for. Yes it will contain other things you don't need, but in our case
anyway, we don't particularly care about that.

Robert

>>> paul@activemath.org 06/06/03 03:53PM >>>
Harold Russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been experimenting with Jelly to determine if it
> is suitable to use as a general purpose prototyping
> language. First thing I was trying to do was to write
> code that are "modularized." By "modularized" I meant
> something like a function which has its own local
> variable scope.
>
> My first try was using a define:taglib and define:tag
> tags to create my own custom tag. I can "call" this
> "module" by using the tag and attributes as input
> parameters. This is the closest thing that resembles a
> reusable "module"/"function" as the code inside the
> tag has its own variable scope.
>
> The only problem is that when my custom tags are
> evaluated, it can only return XMLOutput/String and not
> any other object.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on writing "modularized"
> code in Jelly?

The way it is done into such things as jelly-swing is that the tag
climbs the hierarchy to the first possible ancestor tag that can
receive
a result and "adds" it there.
(namely, this is how a component is added to a container).

There has been a long thread however about having return values for
tags.

Paul