commons-user mailing list archives

From "Ken McCloskey" <>
Subject Jelly/o:XML
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:48:51 GMT
Thanks for all who responded to my previous post on Jelly.

My search for an "XML language" comes from increasingly running into walls
with Ant when trying to do seemingly reasonable things (such as being able
to a parameterize a target or the ability to use a list of items as input to
a task). Without such features, I've resorted to using XSLT to generate Ant
build scripts with alot of redudant-looking targets.

o:XML seems to do alot of what Jelly does and while it didn't work
out-of-the-box, it only took about a half hour to become functional in it.
And it's database extensions are the most terse example of going from SQL to
XML I've seen.

Transformational languages are going to be extremely important. If
Microsoft's X# language comes out without a serious Java alternative, I
could see an erosion of market share.

Finally, I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who contribute to
Jakarta, your hard work has made my job easier and more productive in many