commons-user mailing list archives

From "Will Stranathan" <wstranat...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [FileUpload] Speeding up uploads
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:05:22 GMT
With FTP, a separate channel is usually opened for transferring the file.
With HTTP, the file is sent over the same port as the rest of the request.
So with FTP, the original socket is used for communicating WHEN the transfer
of the file is complete.  With HTTP, the server has to process byte-by-byte
the request to find the markers that separate the fields.  That's probably
where the bulk of the problem is.  (Depending on your configuration, you may
also want to consider that HTTP servers are optimized for SENDING.  FTP
servers are typically optimized for handling either direction efficiently.)

So, the short answer is FTP is prolly quicker because it just has to write
the bits - it gets external notification when there are no more bits to
write.  With HTTP, the server has to process every bit to find when the last
one is received.