commons-user mailing list archives

From "Frost, Gary [IT]" <Gary.Fr...@citigroup.com>
Subject RE: Validator in Struts 1.1
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:17:01 GMT
I've been emailed privately a couple of time about the commons-validator not
being able to resolve the validator dtd's internally and therefore trying to
resolve it over the internet (and being blocked by firewall restrictions)...

So I thought I should put it on the list...  I belive the information I've
given is correct, but perhaps some of the experts could confirm...  Details
are given in the email below

Thanks
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Frost, Gary [IT]
Sent: Friday, 6 June 2003 10:14 AM
To: 'Frédéric Trifiro'; Gary.Frost@ssmb.com.au
Subject: RE: Validator in Struts 1.1

Hi Frederic,

The Proxy Host and Proxy port are needed if you are behind a firewall and
have a proxy server for internet access, this way Catalina can obtain the
DTD via the internet.  However this is not the ideal solution as it creates
a dependence on the jakarta site being available for it to obtain the DTD to
validate against...

It basically was a bug in the Validator jar, however recent builds (even as
long as a month ago I think) have fixed this.  If you get a more recent
version of validator you won't need to set the proxy information, it will
resolve the DTD to be stored in the Jar itself.

Hope this helps

Gary