commons-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Lietz <johannes.li...@antwerpes.de>
Subject [DBCP] Testing of connections
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:18:13 GMT
I've got the following problem:

I'm using DBCP from inside Tomcat to connect to a database. Between
Tomcat and database server is a firewall.

And this firewall is causing problems: when a database connection is
idle for some time, the firewall will block this connection, and not
drop the connection.

Therefore DBCP thinks the connection is still open and alive and tries
to use it. And as the connection is blocked, DBCP will wait eternally
until something happens.

My question: Is there any way to configure DBCP to test connections
regularly and refresh them if necessary? Or to set a timeout when a
connection is declared dead and dropped?

Thanks,
Johannes