commons-user mailing list archives

From Anton Tagunov <atagu...@mail.cnt.ru>
Subject Re: unicode support
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 06:50:55 GMT
Hello Ted!

Besides
    &0x00AE; (J.Pietschmann)
and
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <!-- edit this with UTF-8 enabled editor -->

    (Martin Cooper)

you may also _try_ to use your favourite encoding,
for instnace this might work

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1251"?>

    <!-- edit with my favourite editor that supports
         editing texts in windows-1251 (windows cyrillic) -->

(substitute windows-1251 for your favourite)

Whether this will be accepted or not depends on the
XML parser that actually gets used. I recall that certain
versions of Xerces or Crimson (now shipped inside JDK 1.4,
essentially same as Xerces) did accept my favourite windows-1251,
while otheres refused. Try it.

- Anton

P.S. These are just general XML handling issues, not Digester's.
What has been said is true to any xml document.