commons-user mailing list archives

From Rob Leland <rlel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FileUpload] Speeding up uploads
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:44:23 GMT
Cindy Ballreich wrote:

>This is slightly off-topic since it doesn't specifically refer to FileUpload, but I'm
not finding info anywhere else so I might as well ask...

>I've noticed that uploads using multipart/form-data encoding are a lot slower than other
types of uploads (especially on large files). I've tested using org.apache.commons.fileupload,
com.oreilly.servlet.multipart, and a perl cgi script. All three give the same results. The
upload speeds seem to be about half that of an ftp upload of the same file on the same type
of connection. Are there any tricks or techniques for speeding up multipart/form-data uploads
of large files?

part of the overhead at least for Netscape is that it makes a copy of
the file before it begining the upload.
So for a 650MB file that would typically take about 45 seconds on a
sunfire blade. The files are also
encoded for a http transfer, unlike ftp that can transfer the file in
binary mode.
This is not to say that there aren't still speed improvements that can
be made to fileupload, just
that FTP is the gold standard.

-Rob