commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Modularization: To Return A Non XMLOutput/String Object
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 20:53:17 GMT
Harold Russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been experimenting with Jelly to determine if it
> is suitable to use as a general purpose prototyping
> language. First thing I was trying to do was to write
> code that are "modularized." By "modularized" I meant
> something like a function which has its own local
> variable scope.
>
> My first try was using a define:taglib and define:tag
> tags to create my own custom tag. I can "call" this
> "module" by using the tag and attributes as input
> parameters. This is the closest thing that resembles a
> reusable "module"/"function" as the code inside the
> tag has its own variable scope.
>
> The only problem is that when my custom tags are
> evaluated, it can only return XMLOutput/String and not
> any other object.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on writing "modularized"
> code in Jelly?

The way it is done into such things as jelly-swing is that the tag
climbs the hierarchy to the first possible ancestor tag that can receive
a result and "adds" it there.
(namely, this is how a component is added to a container).

There has been a long thread however about having return values for tags.

Paul