commons-user mailing list archives

From Cindy Ballreich <ci...@ballreich.net>
Subject [FileUpload] Speeding up uploads
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:30:52 GMT

This is slightly off-topic since it doesn't specifically refer to FileUpload, but I'm not
finding info anywhere else so I might as well ask...

I've noticed that uploads using multipart/form-data encoding are a lot slower than other types
of uploads (especially on large files). I've tested using org.apache.commons.fileupload, com.oreilly.servlet.multipart,
and a perl cgi script. All three give the same results. The upload speeds seem to be about
half that of an ftp upload of the same file on the same type of connection. Are there any
tricks or techniques for speeding up multipart/form-data uploads of large files?

Tomcat 4.1.24 with Apache 1.3.26 (mod_jk) and fileupload 1.0-rc1 on RedHat 7.3