commons-user mailing list archives

From John Keyes <j...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [CLI] How to do type checking?
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:40:43 GMT
Hi Bob,

In CLI 1.0 the parameter was Object, so you would pass an instance
e.g. new Integer(1);

We are currently developing the next version and the parameter
type has changed to Class.

So an example usage is:
   Argument i = builder.withValueType(Integer.class).create("i");
   Integer svalue = (Integer) cmdline.getValueAsObject("-i");

This will throw a ClassCastException if the type cannot be converted.

There is also the new Validator functionality.  This allows you
to write your own validators for an Argument.  In this case you
can write one to check that the values are numeric.

In CLI 1.0 you would call:

    cmdline.getOptionObject("-i");

and cast the result to the type you need.

Hope that helps,
-John K