commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: looking for multipart-mime-handling library
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:02:57 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jun 2003, Simon Kitching wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for code which can handle multipart mime messages, both
> building them and decoding them.
>
> Currently I am using the javax.mail apis, with the implementation
> downloadable from Sun. However, frankly, the javax.mail API stinks. And
> the implementation isn't much better, as well as being closed-source. In
> fact I've run into a showstopper bug in it which means I'm now looking
> around for any alternative implementations. As a last resort I can
> roll-my-own but I'd rather not.

Yup, JavaMail sucks. The FAQ actually includes the following statement:

"In general you'll find that the JavaMail API errs on the side of "simple"
instead of "robust"."

Great. Thanks.

> Is there any project (apache or otherwise) which provides mime handling
> utilities? I guess there is some in james.apache.org, but it doesn't
> seem to be separated out (not that I've looked deeply yet).

There's some multipart parsing code buried in FileUpload, and probably
bits and pieces in other Jakarta components. I'm not aware of a really
comprehensive and robust open source implementation, though.

> If there isn't anything around, how would people feel about adding it to
> codec? I think it is a good fit for that project, with the major
> question being whether there is enough demand to make it worth doing...

If you're really going to do it right, I would think that it would merit
its own component. I don't think the question is really whether or not
there would be enough users, I think it's more like would there be enough
interest in developing such a beast to build a community around it. I'm
sure there would be plenty of people who would be happy to use it.

--
Martin Cooper