commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] LogConfigurationException
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:46:04 GMT

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Dan Payne wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:09:21 -0500
> From: Dan Payne <dpayne@sotx.org>
> To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: [logging] LogConfigurationException
>
> I've scoured the web and it seems several others have had the same problem
> but no solution. I was hoping ya'll might be able to help. Here's the stack
> trace in my catalina.out:
>
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger does not implement Log

This smells like a case where more than one copy of commons-logging.jar is
visible in the class loader hierarchy.  You should generally try to have
it only one place (either in the webapp, or in the container's shared
repository), not both.

> [snip]
> I've got the commons-logging.jar in my WEB-INF/lib folder. It is version
> 1.0.2
> I've got the commons-logging-api.jar in tomcat/common/lib folder. It is
> version 1.0.1

There were some significant fixes in commons-logging 1.0.3 related to
multiple class loaders -- I'd try that as well.

> Dan

Craig