commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] What I find unfriendly about commons-logging...
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:05:36 GMT

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Adam Jack wrote:

> Further, the defaults seem terrible. If I run in JDK 1.4 (and have logging
> configured) and C-L picks up the JDK1.4 driver, then I ought not need a C-L
> properties file to see log messages. IMHO whatever the underlying
> configuration has set-up, ought be accepted. For whatever reason I can get
> JDK1.4 working, but never get it working inside C-L. That seems pretty
> bogus.

It's not at all obvious why you think you need to configure C-L in this
environment.  I use exactly this combination all day long (JDK 1.4, C-L,
building webapps running on Tomcat, no Log4J installed) and never
configure C-L at all.  The config settings get picked up from
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/logging.properties just like they are supposed to.

The only gotcha when doing this under Tomcat is you have to restart Tomcat
to get changes to the 1.4 settings to take effect, because by default JDK
1.4 logging only self-configures at startup time -- but that's a JDK
issue.

> Just my tuppence, and no -- I don't have a patch to fix it all, sorry.
>
> regards,
>
> Adam

Craig