commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] Facade
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 15:37:44 GMT

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Adam Jack wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 06:42:58 -0600
> From: Adam Jack <ajack@TrySybase.com>
> To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: [Logging] Facade
>
> I have a wrapper around my commons logging calls, as such each log message
> is marked as from my wrapper class, not the true originator. Can I set a
> facade (class to ignore) like I can w/ log4j, or originator (not real name)
> as I can w/ JDK 1.4 logging? In short, is there a way to get the log entries
> marked as coming from the true originator?

The existing Log implementation classes in c-l are already facades, so
they go to some effort to make available the name of the class that called
them.  However, this support is hard coded -- for example, see the
log(Level,String,Throwable) method in
org.apache.comming.logging,impl.JDK14Logger.

Throwing another facade around the c-l facade seems like an odd thing to
do in the first place.  But if you really want to do so, I'd investigate
modifying the actual Log implementation class for whichever logging
implementation you're using underneath.

> regards
>
> Adam

Craig