commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [DIGESTER] Newbie : Voice XML Implementation ?
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:40:15 GMT
the typical digester use case is xml->java mappings. most of the example
code out there following this pattern.

if i understand you correctly, you intend to create a event driven
architecture rather than a processed-custom-object-model architecture.
this sounds pretty interesting - if your implementation is going to be
open source i'd be interested to take a look sometime (if i ever hav any
free time again).

SAX is the classic way to build event driven xml applications. the problem
with SAX is that the events are low level with xml symantics. beyond a
certain complexity, using a SAX wrapper to add a layer of abstraction can
make things easier. digester is one such layer. digester wraps SAX and
allows higher level processing by rules - actions executed when the
element path matches according to a flexible set of matching rules.

this design means that it should be possible to create event driven
applications using digester rules to create higher level ones - but i'm
not aware of anyone who's explored this use case. maybe scott (if he's out
there) has.

anyway, i'd say that digester is a better match than a xml->object mapper
and that if digester is not appropriate, you might need to use SAX
directly.

- robert