commons-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin Ross" <>
Subject RE: [DIGESTER] Newbie : Voice XML Implementation ?
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:40:00 GMT
In the case you want to deal with/alter/omit/emit sax events, I find
Jelly an excellent tool.

-Kevin Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: robert burrell donkin
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 4:40 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [DIGESTER] Newbie : Voice XML Implementation ?

the typical digester use case is xml->java mappings. most of the example

code out there following this pattern.

if i understand you correctly, you intend to create a event driven
architecture rather than a processed-custom-object-model architecture.
this sounds pretty interesting - if your implementation is going to be
open source i'd be interested to take a look sometime (if i ever hav any

free time again).

SAX is the classic way to build event driven xml applications. the
with SAX is that the events are low level with xml symantics. beyond a
certain complexity, using a SAX wrapper to add a layer of abstraction
make things easier. digester is one such layer. digester wraps SAX and
allows higher level processing by rules - actions executed when the
element path matches according to a flexible set of matching rules.

this design means that it should be possible to create event driven
applications using digester rules to create higher level ones - but i'm
not aware of anyone who's explored this use case. maybe scott (if he's
there) has.

anyway, i'd say that digester is a better match than a xml->object
and that if digester is not appropriate, you might need to use SAX

- robert