commons-user mailing list archives

From "Tracy Boehrer" <tboeh...@calltower.com>
Subject RE: [httpclient] URL encoding
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 04:46:39 GMT
OK.  I just tried the source drop for 5/27 and it seems to work just fine.  Just to make sure
I wasn't crazy, I retried the 5/22 drop and still had the same problem.

Just out of curiosity, what is the rational for requiring the caller to encode a URL (as opposed
to HttpClient encoding it for them)?

Thanks for your help...

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Adrian Sutton [mailto:Adrian.Sutton@Ephox.com]
	Sent: Tue 5/27/2003 6:18 PM
	To: 'Jakarta Commons Users List'
	Subject: RE: [httpclient] URL encoding

	Hi Tracy,
	There is something very strange going on here, I don't think you're using
	the HttpClient you think you are.  When you first posted, I used code almost
	identical to what you're using to test it and had no problems.  I've just
	tested again with what will become 2.0-beta1 when the release manager gets
	back and there is still no problem using the code you posted.

	Where are you seeing the doubly escaped URL come out?  I'm looking at the
	wire trace to see exactly what is sent to the server and it's sent to the
	server exactly how I passed it into the GetMethod.  Can you provide the wire
	trace of your attempts?  Instructions for doing so can be found at
	http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html

	I must admit the getEscapedURI() and getEscapedQuery() calls look pretty
	suspicious, but unless I can reproduce the problem I can't be sure enough
	that they should really be changed - there's some strange stuff that happens
	in the URI classes at times and I don't understand it all. :)

	Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
	Ephox Corporation
	www.ephox.com