commons-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <>
Subject RE: [httpclient] URL encoding
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 23:18:58 GMT

Ephox Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Tracy Boehrer []
Sent: Tuesday, 27 May 2003 11:54 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: RE: [httpclient] URL encoding

	import java.util.*;

	import org.apache.commons.httpclient.*;
	import org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.*;

	public class MyGetContents
		public static void main(String args[]) throws
				HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
				GetMethod gm = new GetMethod(
"http://mail2:80/exchange/tboehrer/Inbox/RE: Test Message.EML" );
				client.executeMethod( gm );
			catch( Exception e )
				System.out.println( e );

Since I don't have the URL esaped, I get the following exception:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid uri
'http://mail2:80/exchange/tboehrer/Inbox/RE: Test Message.EML': escaped
absolute path not valid

If I escape the URL to be:
http://mail2:80/exchange/tboehrer/Inbox/RE:%20Test%20Message.EML, then after
"parsedURI.getEscapedPath()" (below), the resultant URL is

Just so that I could move on, I changed "parsedURI.getEscapedPath()" to
"parsedURI.getPath()" and it seems to work fine.