commons-user mailing list archives

From "Christian (SerpentMage)" <mail...@devspace.com>
Subject [beanutils]Why the shallow clone?
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 10:02:15 GMT
I have been playing around with the clone from BeanUtils.clone and noticed
that the clone is a shallow clone only.

Am I doing something wrong here?

If so, I noticed from a previous email that it was implemented that way to
reflect how Java does a clone.  I can understand that, but then my question
is how do you hook into the cloning process?  When java does a clone you
can call a clone while the clone is executing.  However, because beanutils
is managing the entire process a hook would appear necessary since
otherwise you need to manually go through all the classes and do a
BeanUtils.clone.  And that I think would seem to be beside the point since
the point is to let BeanUtils do everything for you.

Am I missing something here?  Thanks

Christian Gross