commons-user mailing list archives

From "Timko, Cheryl A." <cheryl_ti...@merck.com>
Subject RE: Production use of Connection Pooling
Date Mon, 05 May 2003 16:56:35 GMT
Have you encountered any performance issues?

We performed load testing on both the DBCP and our "custom" database
connection pool.  What we found is that when 300 concurrent users are
accessing the DBCP, the response time average is 8 sec.  When we ran the
same test using our "custom" pool, the average response time is 2 sec.

In both tests, we were testing the connection when borrowing it from the
pool.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Cheryl

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Lawlor [mailto:flawlor@athensgroup.com]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 1:34 PM
To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Production use of Connection Pooling

I just went through a project where we looked at using the commons
pooling in a production application.

We found a number of serious problems with its use.  Anyone considering
production use of the commons pooling or any pooling product should be
aware of these issues.

We also documented some programming practices for using pooled
connections.

To see these look in the White Papers section of
http://stealthis.athensgroup.com/presentations/

for Jakarta_Pooling.doc and Proper_JDBC.doc

  -- Frank

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck
& Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary
copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received
this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.