commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: Dumb question: how to build?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:56:51 GMT

Commons is a set of various projects. How to build depends on the
particular project.

Once you get maven installed [download and set MAVEN_HOME] it's a question
of typing 'maven', however maven is a rapidly moving target and there are
probably issues with some of the project.xml's being out of date.

Ant is the same install process [download and set ANT_HOME]. It's more
stable generally, though saying that I had to move to Ant 1.5 today to
build a Taglib project.

The way to tell really is with the website. If it uses a maven generated
website, then you should probably build with maven. If it uses a
older-style site, then use ant.

Obviously this is hard for you to know, so here are two examples:

Lang:  Old style site. Use Ant.

HttpClient:  Maven style site. Use Maven.

Most projects have both Ant and Maven builds possible, but most of the
time one of these will be the mainly used one while the other can often
get a bit out of date.

Hope that helps,

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Laird J. Nelson wrote:

> Hi; I am not familiar with Maven, but I am familiar with Ant.  I see in the
> commons top-level directory a build.xml and a project.xml file.  What is the
> recommended way to build the commons project from scratch?  Should I invest
> in learning Maven, or is that overkill for simply building the project?
> Any pointers heartily appreciated.
> Best,
> Laird
> --