commons-user mailing list archives

From "Brandon Goodin" <m...@phase.ws>
Subject RE: [Logging] Standalone App using BeanUtils getting wierd exception
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:54:11 GMT
I am very well versed in Log4j so I know I have that configured correct.

However, I am NOT well versed with using commons-logging directly (just
indirectly inside jakarta projects). I have never had this problem before.
Usually I run my apps in a servlet container. I this case I need a
standalone Cron run job.

I am running this app in eclipse 2.1 at this point simply because it is
still in development. Is eclipse interferring?

Anyways, let's forget about Log4j and just try to get SimpleLog working.
BTW I DO have the most current Commons-Logging and I have the most current
BeanUtils (and Log4j 1.2.8 but, that doesn't matter at this point).

I placed a properties file in my called commons-logging.properties where it
is visible to my app.

I set this property in the commons-logging.properties:
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Simple
Log

Commons-Logging picks up the properties file but throws the following
exception:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getWriteMethod(PropertyUtils.java
:1201)
	at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.setSimpleProperty(PropertyUtils.j
ava:1780)
	at ws.phase.xmlidx.conversion.Converter.callConverts(Converter.java:187)
	at ws.phase.xmlidx.conversion.Converter.<init>(Converter.java:37)
	at ws.phase.xmlidx.conversion.Converter.main(Converter.java:50)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory$2.run(LogFactory.java:609)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:561)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:352)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:395)
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils.<clinit>(MethodUtils.java:103)
	... 5 more
Caused by: java.lang.InstantiationException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory$2.run(LogFactory.java:571)
	... 10 more
Exception in thread "main"

Again, the exception occurs on the following line of code:

PropertyUtils.setSimpleProperty(convertObject, name, value);

I am still confused?

Brandon Goodin