commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] Parsing a schema instance / parsing dates
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:12:00 GMT

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 05:19 PM, Karol R├╝ckschloss wrote:

> Craig,
>
> thanks a lot for your input! I will take a look at the converters
>
> Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
>> You can fix this yourself by registering a custom Converter for a
>> java.util.Date object in org.apache.commons.beanutils.Converter.  There
>> is
>> not a standard converter, because there is no standard locale-independent
>> string representation of a date.
>>
> Actually, it's an ISO date that comes in a xs:date element. We don't have
> any locale-dependent issues there. This is why I was hoping that Digester
> (or SAX, respectivelly) would recognize it automatically and use the
> respective param type for the method in CallMethodRule and it would be an
> out-of-the-box feature of Digester.
>
> Anyways, I'll write the custom converter then - sounds like a clean and
> nice solution. Great!

i'm a bit fan of ISO dates and i'd personally be +1 about adding an ISO
date convertor to beanutils and making it the default for java.lang.Date's.
  i don't know what other people would think about this. if you've got the
time and the inclination, then maybe you might like to lobby for this
change by starting a [beanutils] thread and offering to contribute an ISO
date convertor.

- robert