commons-user mailing list archives

From Erik Price <epr...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [VALIDATOR] Validating formatted amounts
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 21:12:59 GMT

Dave Newton wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 10:16, Wendy Smoak wrote:
>
>>but I know my users will want to enter 5,000 or $5,000 or 5000.00 instead of
>>just 5000.
>

> Worse, if it's an I18N app; using "," for the decimal point for example.
>

>>Suggestions please?  I didn't get any answers from struts-user, so I'm
>>thinking I need to write a custom validator for this.
>

> I'd poke around for currency validators in any language (preferably
> java, of course) and wrap it up in a custom just like you are already
> thinking.

Yes, and also there must be dozens of JavaScript currency validators and
you can just use one of these in your JSP/output -- set an onBlur event
handler to change it to the "neutral" form if the user tabs or clicks
outside the field.  This will notify your users that they can just enter
5000 instead of all the extra jazz.

So as not to rely exclusively on JavaScript, which can be disabled, in
your CustomValidator implementation you might want to consider using
NumberFormat.getCurrencyInstance() and parsing the string with that....

Erik