commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Digester - JVM pre-1.4 warning
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:40:29 GMT

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Jai PP wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:17:46 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jai PP <jpgulbarga@yahoo.com>
> To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Digester - JVM pre-1.4 warning
>
> I am using the Digester inside oracle database JVM (
> oracle provides a way where you can load your java
> classes . When you run these classes they use oracle
> JVM)
>
> I get the following Warning in log4j. Do you what this
> message means ? Is this error is ignorable or it is a
> nasty one
>
> 2003-04-01 19:10:18,704  WARN [Root Thread]
> <apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils>
> (MethodUtils.java:583) - Cannot use JVM pre-1.4 access
> bug workaround die to restrictive security manager.

MethodUtils contains a workaround to a problem on pre-1.4 JVMs where
accessibility of public methods differs between directly compiled code and
reflection-based dynamic access.  We try to call the
Method.setAccessible() method to tell the JVM that this method is really
accessible.

If you are running under a SecurityManager (and it sounds like you are,
since you got a SecurityException), the code that you are running must be
granted sufficient privileges in order to execute this call --
specifically, you must have a ReflectPermission named
"suppressAccessChecks" at runtime.

For a Sun JDK/JRE, you would set this sort of stuff up in a
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.policy file.  You'll have to consult the
Oracle documentation on how to do that in their JVM.

> thanks!
> - Jai

Craig