commons-user mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Net] : benefits of commons Net SMTP implementation vs javax.mail?
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:45:34 GMT
I'd agree with Daniels summary,

I've used Java Mail and commons Net SMTP client, Java Mail is good but it is also big and
pretty fully of stuff most folks never need.
In Java Mail Sun have produced a comprehensive API for mail clients of all conceivable flavours,
one which attempts to comply with dozens of RFC's and behave intelligently under odd conditions,
but if all you want to do is dump simple messages into an outgoing gateway commons Net is
small, simple fast and effective.

For example James uses Java Mail for an increasing number of tasks, and an incresing number
of James classes are implemented as extensions or wrappers on Java Mail classes (James is
a server, Java Mail is a client API), but when I wrote some load metric and end-to-end functionality
tests for James I used commons Net because of its simplicity.

d.