commons-user mailing list archives

From Graham Lea <>
Subject Questions on Namespace-aware Rules
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 05:26:50 GMT

I'm trying to upgrade to Digester 1.4.1 from 1.3 and have two questions
on Namespace-aware rules:

One: Why have the non-namespace aware methods in Rule been deprecated?
It would seem the rationale here is to force all Rules to be
namespace-aware, but isn't it possible that some may not need to be?

Two: I have custom rules that now implement deprecated methods. (Don't
worry, I'm not angry - it happens.)
However, I have no idea how to write a namespace-aware Rule.
I had a cursory look at some of the Rules included in the distribution:
BeanPropertySetterRule has the new arguments but never uses them, while
CallMethodRule still implements the deprecated API!

I'm just wondering if someone could tell me either:
(a) how to implement namespace-aware rules or
(b) that I don't have to if I don't want to, and that it's enough to
just add the new parameters and ignore them.

Graham Lea
Software Engineer
Forge Research Pty Ltd
Suite G11, Bay 9, Locomotive Workshop
Australian Technology Park, Cornwallis Street
Eveleigh NSW 1430 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9209 4152   Fax: +61 2 9209 4172
This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you must not disseminate, copy or
take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender immediately.  Any views expressed in
this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender specifically states them to be the views of another (including
a Body Corporate).

View raw message