commons-user mailing list archives

From Erik Price <epr...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [digester] using digester's exceptions
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:11:18 GMT

robert burrell donkin wrote:
> hi erik
>
> my short answer is: digester is open source - use it any way you want!
>
> my longer answer is: i can't think of any major issues that you'll have
> using XmlLoadException in that way. if you want to follow sun's javadoc
> guidelines you might want to add a @throws tag.

Thanks Robert.  My concern arose from the fact that, when I investigated
the classes that extend java.lang.Exception, there are a ton of
CORBA-specific or JNDI-specific (etc) Exceptions and I wondered if we're
all supposed to make custom exceptions like this all the time.
(Actually I should probably just use "assert", however the deployment
platform will probably be a 1.2 JRE.)  But you're right,
XmlLoadException is open source and conveys exactly the message I'm
thinking of, so I can't think of why this would be a problem either.

I forgot to add the @throws tag, thanks!

Erik