commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons distribution
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:26:34 GMT

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:36:01 +0100
> From: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk>
> To: Jakarta Commons Users List <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Commons distribution
>
> if the demand is there, then maybe craig will add combo to the nightly
> builds.

Will add it for tonight's build and see how it goes.

Note that, unlike Gump, commons-combo does *not* attempt to build against
the HEAD of all the dependent packages - I don't have time to babysit all
the dependency changes that would imply.  Instead, you specify a specific
version of each pacakge by means of the CVS tag for that package -- if
you're running the commons-combo build yourself, you can even override
these choices in your build.properties file.  The default set (right now)
selects the following tags:
* BEANUTILS_1_6_1
* BETWIXT_1_0_ALPHA_1
* CLI_1_0
* COLLECTIONS_2_1
* DBCP_1_0
* DIGESTER_1_4_1
* DISCOVERY_0_1
* FILEUPLOAD_1_0_B1
* HTTPCLIENT_1_0
* JXPATH_1_1
* LANG_1_0_1
* LOGGING_1_0_2
* MODELER_1_0
* NET_1_0_0
* POOL_1_0_1
* VALIDATOR_1_0_1

Latka is not currently included because I haven't been able to get it to
build right.  EL is not included yet because I haven't had time to
incorporate it (that will probably be next).  But the latest released
version of all the other packages in jakarta-commons is included.

What you get out of the deal is a commons-combo.jar that has all the code
from all the selected Commons packages (interestingly, it's only about
1.3mb right now), plus integrated JavaDocs -- the latter being what I was
really after, and it sounds like some others as well.

The build.xml for combo still have a few rough spots, and I've only tested
it on Linux.  Patches welcome!

> - robert

Craig