commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject [Net] : benefits of commons Net SMTP implementation vs javax.mail?
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:00:23 GMT
Hi,

The commons Net project includes the SMTPClient class.

There is a standard java api javax.mail which defines methods for
sending mail from java code. There is also a free-as-in-beer
implementation of this API from Sun which appears to work fine.

Can anyone suggest any benefits of using the commons Net implemenation?
And is there any intention of providing a javax.mail API to this code?

I certainly will be using the FTP implementation from the Net library in
the next week or so, and wondered if I should also convert my existing
SMTP code to using the Net library (it seems tidier to use only one
library - but on the other hand, the existing stuff works).

Thanks,

Simon