commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Eclipse plugin for Jelly?
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:35:19 GMT
 From: "Wannheden, Knut" <knut.wannheden@paranor.ch>
> > > Hey, has there been any thought about an Eclipse Plugin for Jelly? I
> > > just realized how powerful something like that would be for
> > my project.
> >
> > I'd absolutely *love* an eclipse plugin for Jelly :).
> >

> What would be te purpose of the Jelly plugin?  I can think of a number of
> different uses:
> - provide the jelly.jar as a library for other plugins to use at runtime
> - an editor for Jelly scripts (maybe as a definition for a generic XML
> editor)
> - an action to execute Jelly scripts in the workspace
> - a wizard plugin which could be used to create projects providing new
Jelly
> tag libraries (which in turn also could be deployed as Eclipse plugins)

All of the above :)

Being able to run a Jelly script from Eclipse and having a Jelly-friendly
editor would be my top 2 things I'd love in a Jelly eclipse plugin.

> > I was thinking we could auto-generate something (say XML
> > Schema documents)
> > for each tag library so that Eclipse could perform
> > auto-completion of tags
> > etc.
> >

> Does the necessary information exist to do this?  Or is there just the
Java
> source files to parse?  Maybe it would be good with some kind of
description
> (maybe as XML) for each tag library providing the necessary metadata.

Agreed. Right now we have jellydoc which is a Maven plugin that generates
XML metadata about Tags using introspection & a custom doclet. It'd be easy
to generate standard XML descriptors from this information. Handling
DynaTags is a bit more tricky; though for now just highlighting which Tags
are DynaTags would do.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/