commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Eclipse plugin for Jelly?
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:32:14 GMT
 From: "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu>
> Autogeneration might be challenging for tags with attributes stored in
> maps. Reflection could be used for attributes set via bean properties.
> Maybe, some sort of property could be added to MapTagSupport to set/get
> an allowed list of attributes. Otherwise, there seems to be a need for
> some sort of "Tag Descriptors" similar to JSP taglibraries. Maybe in
> cases where Mapped Attributes are used, the schemas would need to be
> fleshed out by hand.
>
> I do think schemas would be quite powerful for other uses too. Maybe
> validating Jelly Scripts for tag syntax errors before execution.

Agreed. Right now for any normal Tag we could generate a descriptor/schema
via introspection & doclet comments (like jellydoc does to create the
current Tag reference documentaiton). The main issue is that introspection
wouldn't work for a DynaTag; though for now we could just mark it as being
'open' (i.e. taking any attributes) until we come up with some kind of
descriptor mechanism that a DynaTag can implement if it wishes.

Eventually it could be useful to implement doclet tags to describe required
attributes, required parent tags and so forth so that this information can
be included in the documentation & auto-generate the validation code to
check this stuff.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/