commons-user mailing list archives

From "McKinstry, Pete (HQP)" <Pete.McKins...@rhi.com>
Subject RE: [DBCP] Connections Die
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:47:19 GMT
Evelynn-

Have you tried specifying a validation query in your DBCP config? I believe
it destroys connections in the pool where the validationQuery throws a
SQLException. This may solve your problem w/o having to close & re-create
the DataSource.

See: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/apidocs/index.html
BasicDataSource
	- validationQuery
	- testOnReturn
	- testWhileIdle
	- testOnBorrow

fyi- I haven't used DBCP from w/in Tomcat, so i'm not sure how to configure
there, but it should be do-able...

-pgm

-----Original Message-----
From: Evelynn [mailto:evelynnuser1@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 5:31 PM
To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [DBCP] Connections Die

Reference: Tomcat 4.1.18
My dbcp goes dead at times.
My application on Tomcat is on one box and my DB2 database is on another
box.  If the network goes down for a brief period or the database is
bounced, my dbcp no longer works and I receive an SQLException from my
application running on Tomcat.

So, here is my fix to refresh the connection pool.  When ever I receive an
SQLException, I run the following once:

import javax.sql.DataSource;
import org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource;
BasicDataSource bds = (BasicDataSource)myDataSource;
bds.close();

I tested this and it seems to solve the problem.    The only thing that I do
not like about this solution is that the java code in my app now includes a
reference to the DBCP java class.  But that's OK.  I can live with that.
My question is, is this solution OK or is there a better recommendation to
refresh the dbcp?

Thanks
Eve