commons-user mailing list archives

From "Anecito, Anthony (HQP)" <Tony.Anec...@rhi.com>
Subject RE: using axis within an applet
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:09:04 GMT
Hi Erik,

I was able to run Axis in an Applet. Yes, you are right about java.policy
needing modifications. I dropped using Axis on the client side even though
it was working for other reasons like the combined size of all the jars
needed was way way too big. Also it looked like Axis was doing dynamic class
You are right about the use of SOAP and Applets.

Cheers,
Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Olof Stenflo [mailto:eRiK@stenflo.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 12:18 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Cc: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: using axis within an applet

I believe it is currently not yet possible to run axis within
an applet. Please correct me if I'm wrong. (Anyone, please!)

I've had this same problem and I've seen it described by serveral
others, but haven't found a solution yet either. The reason why
axis can't be run within a browser is because it is heavily
reliant on commons-discovery and commons-logging, both which
violate the applet's sandbox restrictions when performing file io.
It seems, to get axis working from within an applet in a browser
would require either changes to the 'security.policy' on the client
side, or hacking the axis or commons code itself. The first option
is usually not an option for applications deployed on the web.

This is really too bad, because it seems SOAP would be the optimal
way for an applet to talk back to the server (that it was loaded
from). Much better than rmi, or jmx for multiple www clients.
Doesn't anyone use axis within an applet to talk back to the server?

same basic problem described elsewhere....
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?thread=283838&forum=38&message=1417264
http://www.mail-archive.com/axis-user@xml.apache.org/msg08165.html

-eRiK

----- Forwarded message from nospam@spittingimagefilms.com -----
    Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:45:52 -0700
    From: nospam@spittingimagefilms.com

> greetings! I've written a small app using
> axis and it works great, but... when I run
> it inside an applet, I get the following
> sandbox security violation having to do
> with logging. Any suggestions, what is the
> best way to turn this off?? Thanks!!!
> -Rob (newbie)
>

> java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.log.DiscoveryLogFactory._newLog(DiscoveryLogFac
tory.java:142)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.log.DiscoveryLogFactory.<clinit>(DiscoveryLogFa
ctory.java:105)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.resource.DiscoverResources.<clinit>(DiscoverRes
ources.java:82)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.ResourceUtils.getResource(ResourceUtils.j
ava:122)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.ResourceUtils.loadProperties(ResourceUtil
s.java:175)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.PropertiesHolder.getProperties(Properties
Holder.java:102)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverClass.find(DiscoverClass.java:360
)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverClass.newInstance(DiscoverClass.j
ava:579)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.
java:418)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.
java:378)
> 	at
org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory$1.run(LogFactory.java:84)
> 	at
org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.getLogFactory(LogFactory.java:8
0)
> 	at
org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.<clinit>(LogFactory.java:72)
> 	at
org.apache.axis.handlers.BasicHandler.<clinit>(BasicHandler.java:81)
> 	at org.apache.axis.client.Service.getAxisClient(Service.java:140)
> 	at org.apache.axis.client.Service.<init>(Service.java:149)
> 	at mystuff.eai.EAISoapClient.getEAIApp(EAISoapClient.java:77)
> 	at
mystuff.ui.view.swing.eai.EAIObserver.<init>(EAIObserver.java:120)
> 	at
mystuff.ui.applet.eai.EAIObserverApplet$EAIObserver2.<init>(EAIObserverApple
t.java:113)
> 	at
mystuff.ui.applet.eai.EAIObserverApplet.init(EAIObserverApplet.java:70)
> 	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:347)

> Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.util.PropertyPermission org.apache.commons.discovery.log.level read)
> 	at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java
:270)
> 	at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:401)
> 	at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:542)
> 	at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(SecurityManager.java:1291)
> 	at java.lang.System.getProperty(System.java:572)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.discovery.log.SimpleLog.<clinit>(SimpleLog.java:155)