commons-user mailing list archives

From "Evelynn" <>
Subject [DBCP] Connections Die
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 01:30:30 GMT
Reference: Tomcat 4.1.18
My dbcp goes dead at times.
My application on Tomcat is on one box and my DB2 database is on another
box.  If the network goes down for a brief period or the database is
bounced, my dbcp no longer works and I receive an SQLException from my
application running on Tomcat.

So, here is my fix to refresh the connection pool.  When ever I receive an
SQLException, I run the following once:

import javax.sql.DataSource;
import org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource;
BasicDataSource bds = (BasicDataSource)myDataSource;

I tested this and it seems to solve the problem.    The only thing that I do
not like about this solution is that the java code in my app now includes a
reference to the DBCP java class.  But that's OK.  I can live with that.
My question is, is this solution OK or is there a better recommendation to
refresh the dbcp?

View raw message